Do You Really Need A Hydrating Mist?
“Hydrating mist,” “face mist,” “facial spray,” “flower water”—chances are, you’ve encountered these spray-on liquids that promise to refresh and hydrate your skin. Perhaps because they come with such simple, harmless descriptors as “mist” or “water,” you may be wondering if you really need them in your skincare routine, or whether they’re just fragrant water you can do without.
Here, we list the many ways a hydrating mist can be a great multitasking addition to your skincare regimen, and once you’re convinced of its benefits, what you should look for when buying your very first.
What does a hydrating mist do?
Essentially, hydrating mists do just that: hydrate the skin. The humectants in the mist draw moisture to the skin, making it look plumper, dewier, and healthier. Mists come with varying formulations, so besides hydration, they can also offer other benefits such as soothing, brightening, oil-absorbing, acne-fighting, and sun-protecting.
Besides the obvious uses their name suggests, hydrating mists have many lesser-known benefits. Below, some of the ways a hydrating mist can be a multipurpose bonus in your vanity.
- It’s a quick way to get refreshed, glowy skin any time of the day. On hot days or when you find yourself in the middle of the workday slump, a spritz of mist can be just the hydrating boost you need. Tip: Store it in the refrigerator for a cooler, more invigorating feel.
- It can serve as a substitute for your usual moisturizer. On those long days when your skin’s feeling dry and you don’t have a moisturizer on hand, a hydrating mist can be the quick fix your skin needs.
- It adds layers of extra moisture when incorporated into your skincare regimen. A face mist can boost your skincare routine by providing extra hydration in between steps. Spritz it on after toning and before moisturizing, making sure to let it absorb before the next step.
- It helps blend foundation. A few sprays can prevent cakey makeup and produce a smoother, more flawless finish. Spritz it on to prime skin before foundation, or spray it directly onto a makeup sponge to achieve more even blending.
- It keeps makeup in place. Hydrating mists can work like a setting spray, but unlike setting sprays which may contain synthetic ingredients, they’re loaded with more skin-loving components. After applying makeup, give your face a few spritzes to lock it in, and let it dry.
When and how should I use hydrating mist?
Some dermatologists say that the best time to use it is on a clean, makeup-free face, after which you follow it up with a moisturizer to trap hydration better. But as noted above, this hardworking product also comes in handy for different skin situations. You can use it before, after, and in between your daytime and nighttime skincare routines. You can use it before makeup for a smoother finish, after makeup to keep makeup in place, and even later in the day if you need to touch up. You can also spritz it on any time of the day when you need a mood-lifting glow and refresh.
To use, hold the bottle about 12 inches from your face and spray two to three times while keeping your eyes closed.
How do I choose the best hydrating mist for me?
With many face mists offering other helpful benefits besides hydration, it’s best to know what your skin goals are so you can choose the right mist for you. It’s especially important to read the fine print if you have sensitive skin or other skin concerns. Some helpful ingredients to look for are humectants like hyaluronic acid and lactic acid, antioxidants, essential oils, and natural ingredients.
A great choice is Pili Ani’s Hydrating Mist, which is uniquely formulated with plant-based ingredients to protect and revitalize skin. It fights bacteria, balances oil production, and firms and restores skin through its key ingredient Elemi Oil, a potent oil which is harvested from the sap of the Philippines’ Pili Tree. Supercharging its hydrating powers are soothing aloe vera extract and plant-based moisturizers (sodium lactate and sodium gluconate). To protect the skin from environmental pollutants, it also contains camellia japonica flower extract and green citrus unshiu extract.
Pili Ani Hydrating Mist (80ml), $22. Shop now.
Not sure what your skin needs, or just want a mist that’s safe for general use? Pili Ani Hydrating Mist works great with all skin types, thanks to a vegan formulation that is kinder to the skin.
Pili Ani is committed to using all-natural ingredients and sustainable, cruelty-free, fair trade practices in crafting beauty products that are good for the environment, good for the community, and good for you.
- Tags: elemi oil hydrating mist